Friday, May 8, 2009

Mommyhood

As Mother's Day approaches, it has started me thinking about being a mom. I have always known I wanted to have a family. Like most little girls, I had dolls, played house, and thought about being a mommy. I went into the field of Early Childhood Education because I really enjoy being with kids, watching them explore their world, and being a part of so many "ah moments" and firsts. I also knew that in an ideal world, I would be able to stay at home and by mommy full time.

Steve and I talked for many years about starting a family and I know many of you out there thought we would never actually do it, as we always had just one more goal to reach first. But our biggest goal was to be sure we could financially afford for me to stay home. This was important for both us, that one of us would stay home full time, at least for the first year or two. While Steve would love to be a full time, stay at home dad, it makes the most sense for him to work and me to stay home. But when he is home, he is a full time, hands on dad. No begging him to change diapers, or carry her, or play with her, etc. He knows what to do and just jumps right in. And Alex just loves her daddy! She knows the sound of the garage door opening and gets a huge smile when she hears him come in the door each night.

As a little girl, dreaming of being a mommy is just that, the whole fairy tale of parent/adulthood. As kid one does not think about doing laundry, cleaning the toilet, etc. But as a young adult, you quickly learn these are things that mom and dad just did....along with everything else they had to do. I think this is one thing that teen parents must struggle with...not only do you now have a little one who depends on you for everything, you now must also learn all the other parts of being an adult....I am very grateful and thankful that my mom helped me through the transition from being a kid to an adult in stages!

During pregnancy there is lots of time to get ready and prepare for the arrival of the new baby, but there is really nothing that prepares you for that arrival. The classes help prepare you for the labor/delivery, but really, there is nothing more amazing than meeting your child for the first time (whether by delivery, or adoption).

Alex is now 20 weeks, almost 5 months old and I can't believe how our life has changed. And it really happened overnight. We went from being Steve&Genny to Steve&Genny&Alex and it just felt so natural. Of course we have had a lot to learn and will continue to do so each day with her. But it is sometimes hard to remember what our life was like before there were toys littering the floor all day; before going out meant a diaper bag, stroller, comfort toys, and smiles; before there were squeals of laughter at something new and cries of frustration when she is tired.

Every day is something new and wonderful. And I am so glad that I can stay home with her every day. I can email daddy new pictures, call him when she does something new or amazing or just so darn cute.

While the role of mommy may not be what I used to imagine as a little girl, it is really so much more. I would not trade this job for anything and I am so grateful to my amazing partner who helps make it happen that I can stay home.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Thomasin said...

Happy Mother's Day! :-)